Shemoneh Esrei: Blessings 9 & 10: Blessing for Years and Ingathering of Exiles
Shemoneh Esrei: 9th Blessing – For Years
- The Blessing for Years is focused upon the Land of Israel specifically, and a part of the Messianic promises of Deuteronomy 30. As such, it relates most to a time yet to come, as a result of repentance on Israel’s (our) part.
- We bless the Almighty for His promise to bless our years – which comes from bowing to His Kingship and living obediently to Him.
- This petition demands a broken and contrite heart – a heart of repentance. We cannot expect the blessings of “rain” without obedience on our part.
Scriptures for Birkat Hashanim [Blessing for Years]
Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of G-d and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Blessed is the man You choose, and cause to approach You, that he may dwell in Your courts. We shall be satisfied with the goodness of Your house, of Your Holy Temple.
Birkat Hashanim [Blessing for Years]
B’rech aleinu HaShem Eloheinu et hashanah hazot
Bless this year for our us, HaShem our G-d
V’et kal mineh t’vuatah l’tovah
that all our plantings may yield a good, fruitful harvest
v’ten b’racha al p’nei ha adamah
and give a blessing on the face of the earth
satisfy us with Your bounty
u’varech shanahteinu ka shanim ha tovot.
and bless our year, so as to make it a banner year
Baruch Atah HaShem, m’vorech ha shanim.
Blessed art Thou, HaShem, Who Blesses the Years.
Shemoneh Esrei: 10th Blessing – Ingathering of Exiles
- This blessing is closely related to the Blessing for Years. The Blessing for Years is about the Land of Israel in Messianic age, and this blessing is about a People assembled in the Land in the Messianic age. Both of these hearken back to the promises to Abraham in Gen 12:3.
- This blessing is a petition for the Almighty to fulfill His promises, but also a petition for the Almighty to bring repentance. Deut 30 makes it clear – the ingathering will reach its fulfillment when all Israel repents.
Scriptures for Kibutz Galuyot [Ingathering Exiles]
Now it shall come to pass, when all these things come upon you, the blessing and the curse which I have set before you, and you call them to mind among all the nations where HaShem your G-d drives you, and you return to HaShem your G-d and obey His voice, according to all that I command you today, you and your children, with all your heart and with all your soul, that HaShem your G-d will bring you back from captivity, and have compassion on you, and gather you again from all the nations where HaShem your G-d has scattered you. If any of you are driven out to the farthest parts under heaven, from there HaShem your G-d will gather you, and from there He will bring you. Then HaShem your G-d will bring you to the land which your fathers possessed, and you shall possess it. He will prosper you and multiply you more than your fathers.
He will set up a banner for the nations, and will assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.
And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Kibutz Galuyot [Ingathering Exiles]
T’kah b’shofar g’dol l’cheruteinu
Sound the shofar for great deliverance
v’sah nes l’kabetz galuteinu
Make a miracle, and gather us from our lands of exile
v’kabetzeinu yachad meyar’ba kn’fot ha’aretz
gather us from the four corners of the earth; reunite us
Baruch Atah HaShem, M’kabetz ni’dchai amo Yisrael.
Blessed art Thou, HaShem, Who gathers the outcasts of His People Israel