Shemoneh Esrei: Blessings 7 & 8: Redepmtion & Healing
Shemoneh Esrei: 7th Blessing – Redemption
- The blessing for Redemption is a petition for physical and spiritual aid from the Almighty.
- Ex 6:6-7: redemption is always a covenant response on G-d’s part. Petitioning for redemption, is also praise in that it acknowledges that G-d is a covenant keeping G-d.
- “For Your Name’s sake” – Israel’s suffering is ultimately a desecration of G-d’s Name. He swore by His Name to ultimately redeem Israel. His anger with Israel’s sin is always tempered with His mercy. Redemption must occur.
Scriptures for Ge’ulah [Redemption]
Therefore say to the children of Israel: ‘I am HaShem; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments. I will take you as My people, and I will be your G-d. Then you shall know that I am HaShem your G-d who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
With a little wrath I hid My face from you for a moment; But with everlasting kindness I will have mercy on you,”
Says HaShem, your Redeemer.
R’eh v’onyeinu, v’rivah riveinu
Behold our troubles, and carry away our sorrows
u’g’alenu m’hera l’ma’an Sh’mecha
and redeem us quickly, for the sake of Your Name
ki Go’el chazak atah
for You are a fierce Redeemer
Baruch Atah HaShem, Go’el Yisrael.
Blessed art Thou, HaShem, Israel’s Kinsman-Redeemer
Shemoneh Esrei: 8th Blessing – Petition for Healing
- This blessing is a petition for healing, corporate and individual.
- From the first usage of the verb rapha, we learn that healing is intimately connected to prayer (Ex 20:17). We learn that sickness it sometimes associated with sin. Hence, healing and salvation are intimately related.
- Ultimately, we desire healing from our spiritual sickness, and hence attain the ultimate spiritual salvation.
Scriptures for Refu’ah [Healing]
So Abraham prayed to G-d; and G-d healed Abimelech, his wife, and his female servants. Then they bore children; for HaShem had closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech because of Sarah, Abraham’s wife.
‘Now see that I, even I, am He,
And there is no G-d besides Me;
I kill and I make alive;
I wound and I heal;
Nor is there any who can deliver from My hand.
I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely: for mine anger is turned away from him.
R’faeinu HaShem, v’nerafe
Heal us, HaShem, and we will be healthy
Rescue us, and we will be saved
v’ha’alei r’fuah sh’lema l’chol makoteinu
Bring complete healing for all our afflictions
ki Ek Melech Rofei ne’Eman v’Rachaman Atah
for You, G-d and King, are a Faithful and Compassionate Healer.